Sunday, November 22, 2009

Busy, busy, busy

Remember how yesterday I made a lot of perogies? Well, today I did it again.

You see, we made two types of perogies yesterday - cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. We used up all of the cheddar cheese filling, but there was still cottage cheese filling left, so today I made another batch of dough, more potatoes (for more cheddar cheese filling) and I made another three cookie sheets of perogies.

As if that weren't enough, I then made one of my favourite types of Christmas cookies, schnecken.

Here's the recipe.

Mix 4 cups flour & 1 1/2 cups butter.
Add 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, 1 cup sour cream, and 1 tsp vanilla.

Mix well and chill.

Beat fluffy 3 egg whites. Add 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp vanilla.

Divide dough into 8 parts. Roll each part into a circle on board dusted with icing sugar. Cut into 8 or 12 wedges.

Brush rolled dough with egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roll each wedge loosely, starting with the wide end. Brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Place on greased cookie sheet, bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes.


So, yes, I made 8 dozen cookies today. Eight dozen small cookies, I would like to add. These are awesome cookies, though - all cinnamon-y and moist.

In other words, it was a productive day.

I even took the time to do a small anti-procrastination project. You see, when this house was built, the stairs to the basement were off of the kitchen. In the early 90s, the owners decided to expand the dining room and build a porch outside of where the back door had been. The stairs were moved out to the porch. I would have designed the porch differently (so that, for example, it contained a closet), but such is life. Basically, there is a small landing, then stairs to the basement. Along the stairs is a ledge.

Somehow, that ledge has become a holding place for anything I used outside but was too lazy to take downstairs. Today I started cleaning off that ledge. I decided to leave everyday gardening things there (gloves, weed pullers, etc.) because it's not realistic to think that I'll walk downstairs to get them - I'm not a big fan of gardening, there's no point in making it harder. However, the more infrequently used things (seeds, a bike bag, edging) are now downstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment