Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Where I've been

This is another "wow, I haven't updated in a month" update. Let's see if I can remember what I've been up to.

The pathfinders went to a glassblowing class. We did a birthday party package, and it was interesting, but I was hoping we'd be able to do more of it ourselves. (We picked the colours and blew the gass, but didn't gather or shape it).

The resulting ornament was really heavy.

Wanda went away for a weekend and I proceeded to do exactly what I would have done if she'd been here.

I went to Montreal to go Christmas shopping. Uncharacteristically, I bought a gift. (Don't worry, I'm not done.)

There were layoffs at work. Not me, at least not yet.

The pathfinders did a craft activity at a community event.

I took three days off work but still had no time to relax.

I went to a work Christmas party. 

I slipped on some ice and hurt my wrist (not seriously). I went to boxing anyway and, for added fun, forgot my shoes. I persevered.

Speaking of boxing, they've started added an exercise between every station. Two weeks ago, it was jumping split squats. I was sore for four days.

Sunday, November 16, 2014


It occurs to me that I never shared my Halloween costume here.

I went as Ursula the sea witch.

I made the costume myself. The tentacles were easy - long purple troubles sewn to bigger black triangles. The suckers on the tentacles were  straightforward but time consuming.

The necklace was clay painted hold.

And the eels were essentially a stuffed pillow.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Typed on my phone

Almost two years ago, my mom gave me an iPad for Christmas.  I loved it. If you add up all the time I've spent using every other gift I've ever gotten and compared it to the time  I've spent using the iPad, the iPad would win.

So naturally, I flung it across the room and cracked the corner.

It still worked fine, so I kept using it. got a protection plan, and that plan expires in December.

Ten days ago, I took it in to get fixed.

I've been busy, so I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would, but I have noticed I have more free time, and I have a list of things I need to do when I get it back.

And the library books are piling up - I can read them on my phone, but its harder.

I hope it is back soon.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

As I've mentioned before, I do a weekly boxing training class. I've done it for eight years, and I'm never sore. Never.

I also go to the gym - usually three times a week. I'm rarely sore from that - although when we do a different strength training workout, I get a little sore.

So anyway, last Thursday I did the strength class as usual. On Friday at boxing,I noticed that my right shoulder was tight.

I then forgot about it until body toning on Monday, when it was still off. I decided it was time to do something about it, so I booked a massage for yesterday.

My shoulder is better, but I am so very sore. It hurts to lean back against a chair, or lie down, or move.

Apparently massages are my kyptonite.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

There have been a lot of sirens today

If you live in the world, you e probably heard that a soldier was murdered in Ottawa today, likely by the same person who then went into the Parliament Buildings.

I don't work downtown, really, but I'm both close to downtown and near the Queensway, and the first sign we had was one of my coworkers saying "there have been a lot of sirens today".

It turned out that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Much of downtown was under lockdown most of the day. We had updates from federal politicians ad provincial politicians and municipal politicians. The three police forces were all involved.

And now, almost twelve hours later, there's still a lot we don't know.

Two people died. Three were injured. Thousands were scared or worried. Hundreds were busy performing first aid or investigating or helping in some other way.

And, in the end, most of us made it home. Prayers for those who didn't.

Sunday, October 19, 2014


I haven't been sleeping all that well lately.

Part of the problem is that I'm having odd dreams, the kind that combine snippets of work with bits of the rest of my life into something that makes no sense at all. (Apparently a lot of people are having odd dreams lately - is it the weather?)

The other part is my night guard. I got a new one in February, and I'm finding it hard to use. If I manage to fall asleep with it I my mouth (which is rare) I wake up with it somewhere else. I think part of it started when I got the new one - the plastic took a while to taste in-plasticky. And then... It just never got better.

The problem is that I know I'm supposed to use it, so I wake myself up wondering where it is.

Since it's been more than six months, though, I'd better figure it out.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Meet the meat

Back in July, I ordered a quarter of beef from a local farmer. It was estimated to arrive in September.

Three weekends ago, I cleaned out the freezer in preparation. I found a steak from 2008, some Girl Guide cookies so old I didn't recognize the box, and lots of ice.

The weekend after I cleaned out the freezer, I picked up the meat.

Let me tell you, a quarter is a lot of meat. I filled up the chest freezer and put more meat in the fridge freezer. The day after picking up the meat, I opened the freezer and Wanda yelled "if you're not looking for meat, good luck!"

But ... It's so nice to be able to pull something out of the freezer. We've had stew and steak and a roast and ground beef. I will still buy chicken and pork, but we've got enough beef for a long time.

With a freezer full of meat and vegetables delivered every two weeks, grocery shopping should be minimal, as well. Which is good for everyone, because I go after boxing when I'm all sweaty and gross.