Monday, March 31, 2008
From my desk to the kitchen/bathroom area: 35 steps
From my desk to the water cooler: 51 steps
From my desk to the front door of the building: 61 steps
From the front door to my car: 45 steps (approximately, I was talking to a colleague so I may have lost count)
From my car to the front door of the house: 33 steps
From the kitchen to the computer: 41 steps
Sunday, March 30, 2008
A couple of weeks ago, I went to make bread and it didn`t rise properly.
I had two containers of yeast in the cupboard - one that I suspected was too old to use, and another that I thought was OK. When the bread didn`t rise properly, I assumed I had grabbed to wrong one.
Today I did an experiment to determine which container of yeast was still usable. The results: both are too old. I need to buy more yeast.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Friday, March 28, 2008
I joined the group & stopped on the way home from work to take pictures. I have some good ideas for some of the items. Hopefully they will work out.
It definitely made my drive more interesting. (Hey, that tree kind of looks like a triangle!)
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
- The birds singing outside. It gives me hope that spring might someday arrive.
- Sunshine - let's call this the silver lining to our drawn-out winter - the days are sunny and there's no rain.
- Boxing. There is nothing like the feeling that I get after a killer hour long boxing session.
- Jelly beans - which admittedly I should stop eating before I make myself sick.
- The internet.
- Dixie Chicks concerts
- The fact that I don't have to worry about clean water or sufficient nutritious food.
- Song: Terri Clark, Damn Right
- Movie theatres. I never rent movies - I am too easily distracted and will wander off before I figure out who is who in the movie - but I like going to theatres to watch movies (even if it's only once or twice a year).
- TV on DVD. With TV on DVD I only have to learn who the characters are once, and thus I don't wander off as often. I have no idea why it works that way, but it does.
- Camping. Sitting around a campfire with nothing in particular to do and all day to do it in.
- Frequent flier lounges at the airport.
- My friends.
- Those chocolate truffle things from Costco. I don`t know what they`re actually called, but they are very, very good.
- Album: Brad Paisley, 5th Gear
- Living in a place with 4 distinct seasons (even though winter is attempting a hostile takeover of spring).
- My family. As George Burns said, "Happiness is having a large, loving, close-knit family in another city."
- Saskatoon berries
- The writers strike is over & TV is coming back.
- The sound of rain on the roof while I’m dry & warm inside.
- Karaoke machines. (Note: This may not make people trapped in a room with me & a karaoke machine happy, but this list isn’t about them. )
- My job.
- The people at Visa who watch out for credit card fraud.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - a trilogy in 5 parts.
- Garlic. Especially that garlic dip from Farm Boy.
- My new computer reboots much, much faster than my old one.
- My niece. She had her 4th birthday party at the museum (because she loves dinosaurs). Here’s our conversation about it:
Me: How was your birthday party? Did you have fun at the museum?
Me: Did you see dinosaurs?
Her: No (in a mocking, you must be kidding tone).
Her: No, dinosaurs are extinct. That means they are all dead.
Me: Oh. Did you see dinosaur bones?
- Arrogant Worms concerts.
- Flowers in the spring.
- Driving down the highway in the spring with the windows open.
- The amazing people I’ve worked with, especially the guys.
- Pens that write well.
- Fresh tomatoes from the garden in the summer.
- Committing to doing a new thing every day is giving me the push I needed to do things that I’ve been thinking about for ages.
- French fries with that mystery spice on it. I have no idea what it is, but it’s on the fries at Baton Rouge, and it was on the fries at the place across from my high school.
- Facebook has allowed me to get back in touch with friends I had lost touch with.
- Alabama’s The Cheap Seats, which somehow captures the feeling of sitting outside watching a ball game.
- Income tax software.
- Mahna Mahna
- Harvest sunsets on the prairies.
- Hanging clothes out on the clothesline in the summer.
- Ice cold water on a hot day.
- The first snowfall of the year.
- Anne of Green Gables. I read it as a child, and then bought it before a plane ride as an adult. It’s embarrassing to giggle out loud on a plane while reading silently to yourself. Especially at a children’s book.
- West Jet
- My dishwasher, also known as the only reason I ever put dishes away.
- Wiki How
- Sting Rays.
- Blogger makes doing things like uploading photos easy.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Today I read a paper copy of the Ottawa Business Journal. I have read the online version, but the paper copy (although not as up to the minute) was definitely worth the time.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Then you throw the film canister. The vinegar mixes with the baking soda, and the expanding gas blows the lid off the canister.
You can see where the food colouring hit the snow.
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Friday, March 21, 2008
It was interesting. First of all, the choir was mostly women, which I was not what I expected.
The overall verdict - it was interesting and well done, but like yoga for me in that I can see how people could find it relaxing, but after about 10 minutes it makes it impossible for me to sit still.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Monday, March 17, 2008
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Friday, March 14, 2008
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
I also went to a movie and parked in the back of the theatre, instead of at the side. This meant we had to walk around the theatre to get in, but when we got out we were right by the car. Not a bad plan.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
I also considered trying to get some of the snow off the roof, since a house in Ottawa actually had it's roof split in two due to snow, but I'm too short. I'm also too lazy to carry a ladder through 3 feet of snow, so I'm settling for keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for spring.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Note: a lot of new thing a day-ers have had new things involving snow lately.
Left: My sister shovelling from the house to the driveway
Centre: From the driveway back towards the house
Right: The back yard
My street is down to one lane. (In the summer, you can have cars parked on both sides & still have room to pass a car driving in the opposite direction).
Rumour has it we get more snow this week.
Sunday, March 9, 2008
I also played Sims2 Castaway on the DS for the first time.
And, since I recently got a new computer (and I had to answer some work questions this morning) I used 3 computers almost simultaneously.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Friday, March 7, 2008
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
As a result, by the time I got to work my socks were soaked. So today I took of my socks to dry them, and wore shoes without socks all day. I've obviously worn sandals without socks before, but I think this is the first time for regular shoes.
And when I got home, the trouble light was still flashing on the alarm panel (as it had been when I left this morning), so I called my alarm company for service.
(Really, the rest of the day was fine.)
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Monday, March 3, 2008
Sunday, March 2, 2008
I'm not sure how visible it is, but the blanching process - besides cooking the broccoli - made it much more colourful.