Monday, September 28, 2009

Playing with paint

I started a rant a bout politics, but let's skip that, shall we? (If we end up with another election, I'll rant then.)

Back to my anti-procrastination project.

When I moved in, the kitchen was old and poorly designed. It was impossible to have more than one person in the kitchen at a time.

I had the kitchen renovated in 2004. At that time, the counter became black with red/orange flecks, and the curtains were orange.

I have a flower pot that I keep my extra utensils in (wooden spoons, pancake flippers, whisks, etc.). It was white with blue stripes, as such:

(The orange oven mitt matches the curtains.)

Anyway, I've always had the idea that I could repaint this flower pot to fit in better with the rest of the kitchen. Today, I actually did it. I started with three coats of primer.

Next, I painted 2 coats of white paint:
I then picked the colours for the outside:
I was able to walk them into the kitchen and make sure they worked with the rest of the kitchen.

Finally, I applied these colours to the outside of the flower pot. Here is the final project:


  1. It's cute! I'm jealous of counter space that would allow for a pot such as this. All of my utensil things are shoved into one's so full that things keep sliding down the back. I've currently lost my ladle and I can't get it back.

  2. I used to have that problem with the old cabinets - there was an open area at the back of the drawers, and stuff would fall out of the drawers. My kitchen renovation was totally worth it.

    I don't have a lot of drawer space - the kitchen area is big, but there are 3 doors into it. There's a lot of cupboard space, but not a lot of drawers - and frankly, I like having stuff like this out on the counter where it's easily accessible. Having said that, I don't have a lot of counter space - three small-ish areas. I know that's more than a lot of places, but I'm always scrambling for counter space. (I think I had more counter space when I was in an apartment - but I then put a microwave on it, so that didn't help.)