Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dumplings


I started today with a runny nose and cough. This isn't unusual for me in the mornings, but it was more severe than usual. I was having trouble lying down (when I did, I started coughing like crazy), so I sat up in bed to read.

For the record, this was around 6:15. Around 6:45, there was a "pop" and the bedside lamp went out. Replacing bulbs didn't improve anything, so I guess I need a new lamp. I can't complain - I've probably had this one for 12 years or so - but that meant I got out of bed before 7, which hadn't really been part of my plan for the day.

I had breakfast, then updated my resume for my meeting tomorrow. After that, I headed to the gym. When I got back, I had lunch, then spent a lazy afternoon reading a book. (Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs, if anyone is curious.)

Eventually, I decided it was time to work on the to-do list, so I washed the windows. (Well, technically I skipped the outside of one window - it's behind bushes and it's hard to get a ladder in there.

After that, it was time for something I had been procrastinating on - I started making Plum Knaddle (i.e. plum dumplings). This was a traditional food in my mom's family. The origins of the food are hazy (as are the origins of my mom's ancestors - they come from "the old country"). However, years ago I brought this to work and one of my co-workers who was raised in Eastern Europe recognized it.

Ingredients:
6 potatoes
1 egg
flour
1/4 pound butter
pinch of salt
plums (12 - 20)
sugar
butter

Peel the potatoes, then boil. When they are soft, mash them and measure how much you have. Add an equal amount of flour, the egg, and the salt. Knead well. Roll out dough on a floured board to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Cut into 4 inch squares and place a plum in the centre of each. Bring the corners together and press until you have a watertight dumpling.

To cook:
Drop a few at a time into boiling, salted water and cook 15 minutes. Make sure they don't sink to the bottom.

Drain the dumplings as they are done.

To eat, cut open and sprinkle with sugar and melted butter

No comments:

Post a Comment