Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another "what's wrong with me" update

Today I had my appointment with the neuro-opthamologist about my eye twitch.

I wasn't super impressed with him. He seemed to have come up with two theories before I got there.

The first theory was that my glasses were the wrong prescription. He checked, and that wasn't the case.

His second theory was basically that I was just tired ... for 3 months, including 2 weeks of vacation, and with my eye twitching up to 40 times a day.

That's the one he ended up going with.

They also tried twice to check me for glaucoma. I find that test almost impossible at the best of time, and they seemed like they were in a hurry, and thus they were unsuccessful.

Like I said, I wasn't super impressed - he seemed to have his options figured out before he talked with me, and he wasn't too interested in hearing what I had to say.

However, my eye stopped twitching a week after I got laid off, so I wasn't too inclined to make a big deal about it.

I have a few theories as to what it could have been:
- something physical in my work environment - a chemical, or something related to the fact that the roof leaked, and the water would drip down through the insulation in the ceiling and land near my desk (and at a bunch of other places)
- something related to the vitamin levels that were low at my checkup in May (which perhaps took a while to build back up to the correct levels)
- I got my new (small) laptop in April. Maybe it took a while for my eyes to adjust.

I hope the doctor is wrong, since I don't recall being particularly tired between April and July.

I guess we'll see if it comes back. If it does, I'm going to a different doctor.

1 comment:

  1. I get an eye twitch when I'm tired and rundown for extended periods of time. But still, I hate it when health care professionals diagnose before they even see you [happens with migraines a lot!]. I also tend to drool when I'm going through that...which is highly alluring.

    ReplyDelete