Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nothing new here

I've now hit the point where I just want to get a job.

Of course, that's not realistic - I need to keep applying for jobs, plus I've got a bunch of doctor's appointments in September, and thus it's probably better if I start a new job after that.

I don't want to be realistic, though, I want to be employed. I'm sick of not knowing. (If I knew now that I'd have a job October 1, I'd be fine. If I knew it would be November 1, that would be fine. Sitting around is not good for me.)

A lot of former co-workers have gone the consulting route, but I'd prefer not to go that way for a few reasons. I'd miss things like health insurance and vacation. Yes, you can pay for those yourself and factor that in to your consulting rate, but that doesn't seem to be how it's working for people. Also, that seems to be putting yourself into perpetual job-hunt mode, and since I do not enjoy job hunting, that's probably not a good idea.

I'm working through my ... apathy? Boredom? Sick of job hunting-ness? I went to a salary negotiation workshop yesterday, and a behavioural interviewing workshop today. They were both very good. (My test interview told me I talk to fast and trip over my words - my observation, not anyone else's - but this is not new. Also, I say "um" a lot, and close my eyes when I'm thinking.)

I have an appointment on Thursday to talk with one of the consultants about my resume. I'm also planning to spend some time on Thursday working on the java course I started last week.

This frustration is also kind of foolish, because it's not like I've applied for hundred of jobs. Right now, the tally stands at 7. And I've only been out of work for a month, so it's not like it has been ages. I just wish something were happening.

I know that eventually things will come together. I also know that once things start happening, you can get a job very quickly. And I know that I'm good at what I do. I'm just impatient.

4 comments:

  1. Silly question perhaps - but how/where are you finding these courses and sessions? I feel like the worst job hunter of all time because I've been unemployed one heck of a long time longer than you and I haven't done anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You clearly aren't the worst job hunter of all time - you've had more interviews this month than I've had in the last 10 years.

    I went through Northern Lights, who hooked me up with ITO. ITO only does technology job hunting, so Northern Lights would be where you want to go. You can find them here: http://www.northernlightsosh.com/nlvs/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And yes, interviews have been picking up lately. May, June and July were so terrible though. Unfortunately none of these jobs are really clicking - either I like them and they don't like me or the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's how it goes sometimes. But the fact that you're getting interviews (and follow-up interviews) means that you're doing the right things. It's just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete