Saturday, January 26, 2008

And then we turned the corner & there was an ostrich

It's Saturday!

Today we drove (slightly) out of Gaborone.

The dirt here is red, and the terrain is interesting:


We drove around the city in general (mostly looking for new restaurants), and then visited the Gaborone Game Reserve. It cost around 30 pula ($5) for myself, my colleague, and our vehicle.

At first it was slow, but then we turned the corner and saw a monkey. A little later we saw some sort of deer-like creature.

Then we reached the road that is apparently the monkey playground.

By the time we left, I was thinking of monkeys almost like gophers. You'd look down a road, and if you saw something run across it, odds are it was a monkey.


Some were even too lazy to run across the road themselves:



We saw different types of deer-like creatures.

We saw kudu:




We saw warthogs, and wild boars.

We saw ostriches:


Other birds:

Tonight we ate at an Irish pub. It served such Irish delicacies as samosas and peri-peri chicken (and some actual Irish-style food). There was live entertainment as well. People were dancing and singing.

On our way back to the hotel, we were wondering why we could see street light poles but there were no lights. Then we missed the hotel because it was totally dark, and realized that the power was out. So tonight I walked up to my hotel room by candlelight.

Edited to add: Today was also the first time I saw the stars in the Southern hemisphere. I was expecting them to look more different. Especially since I looked up and said "Oh, there's Orion" - which is one of only 3 constellations I can recognize at the best of time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so fun! Your last few days have been a completely new experience!

    ReplyDelete