Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

(Edited to add #8.)

I don't usually make New Year's Resolutions - this blog being the obvious exception.

New Year's just seems like a terrible time to resolve anything. There's not much daylight, it's cold, and I'm usually traveling.

However, here are some resolutions for 2010. Let's see how many I achieve.
  1. There are currently 4 different types of body lotion in my bathroom. By the end of the year, I want there to be no more than two.
  2. Get a job. (This is actually more important that the lotion resolution.)
  3. Make it to level 4 of boxing.
  4. Go on a road trip.
  5. Clean out my closet and get rid of clothes I don't wear anymore. Drop them off to a charity that will use them.
  6. Take a first aid course.
  7. Go camping (not counting Spark camp).
  8. Go cross-country skiing twice.
Any other suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Good resolutions. I don't generally made any - for much of the same reasons.

    I donate my clothes, generally once or twice a year...I try to research the organization before donating, as I want the clothes to actually be used [and hope locally]. Some clothes are shipped overseas, some are torn up for rags - either way is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I donate my clothes as well, but it has been a while.

    I agree that researching is good. Part of my problem with giving to charities is that it takes time and effort to research them, and I usually don't want to do that. I feel the same way about environmental issues. (OK, CFLs, use less energy than traditional light bulbs, but they have additional issues when they do burn out ... which is better? Is a hybrid car better? It uses less gas, but requires batteries - how does the creation & disposal of them change the picture?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true - CFLs contain really high levels of mercury and other goodies and are terrible to dispose of in an environmentally friendly manner. I'm waiting for LEDs to become more widely available in homes.

    I think Salvation Army and other charities that resell locally are pretty safe options. I've heard that those organizations that just have those big boxes [usually in a parking lot?] - those are not great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that as well, and I usually go with the Salvation Army or something similar. To some degree, though, I just want the stuff out of my house.

    ReplyDelete