Saturday, January 9, 2010

Let's talk about music

I used to listen to music a lot. I constantly had the radio on (or the TV on a video channel). For a while, I had a portable CD player on my desk at work (until I broke it by flinging it off the desk because I forgot that I had my headphones around my neck).

I'm not sure what happened, but I don't really listen to music anymore. In fact, when I'm home I don't usually listen to anything.

I suspect that what happened is that I started spending more time on the internet, and I find music too distracting.

Having said that, I usually like music that contains lyrics. I'm not fond of instrumentals.

Live music is different, though. If it's a live performance, I will enjoy music I wouldn't otherwise listen to.

Tonight I went to see the NAC Orchestra. Tonight was part of their POPS series - it was a tribute to Benny Goodman.

I enjoyed it. There was a featured clarinetist who I wasn't terribly fond of - his music was fine, but he seemed smarmy - but the orchestra did a good job as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment