Friday, May 30, 2008

Light & fluffy? Not around here.

Growing up, we often had "big pancakes" on Fridays. This was a recipe from my mom's side of the family.
For those reading this who are not familiar with them, let me attempt to explain.

Big pancakes are incredibly simple - flour, salt, powdered milk, eggs, and water. Mix them together so that they are the right consistency (not too solid, not too runny), then put some in a frying pan, lift the frying plan & turn it to & fro until the batter covers the entire bottom of the pan, cook, then flip & cook the other side.

For reference, they're a little thicker & more solid than a crepe. They don't raise much - they pretty much just stay flat.

Anyway, when you go to eat them you put butter, jam (or yogurt, if you're in my aunt & uncle's family & put yogurt on everything), roll them up, cut & eat.

I'm not terribly fond of messy food, so I just normally had butter on mine.

Anyway, this a long, roundabout way of saying that today I had big pancakes with almond butter & jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment