Friday, February 1, 2013

Slow deductive reasoning

Just before I left for work this morning, I remembered my cell phone needed charging. I pulled it out of my purse and confirmed that it should be charged, so I decided to charge it on the way to work.

Then I went to work.

When I got to my desk, I went to grab my cell phone (it doesn't get reception if I keep it in my purse, so I leave it on the desk during the day) and ... no cell phone.

I went back down to the car. No sign of it.

I figured it had fallen out of my purse at home and, since I wasn't at home, there wasn't much I could do.  I called Wanda (because you can't text without a cell phone), but she was on her way to school, so she couldn't check for me.

I talked with Wanda again mid-afternoon, and she said she couldn't find it.

Great.

Before I left work, I called my cell phone and it went right to voicemail.

I wasn't sure whether that meant the battery had died or that someone was using the phone. Regardless, there wasn't anything I could do.

I came home and called it again.  This time, it rang before it went to voicemail.  I walked around the house, hoping I'd hear it vibrating. (I keep it on my desk during the day, you might recall.)

No luck.

I logged into my account online to confirm that no one was using the phone to call Hong Kong or some equally expensive place.  So far this month, I've used 4 minutes of calling.

Probably not being abused by someone who snatched it off the driveway, then.

I decided to try looking for it again in the morning.

And then, seconds after Wanda took the car to work, I realized that if it had no reception (and thus went right to voicemail) when my car was in the underground parking at work, but did have reception when I was home and the car was on the driveway, it was probably in the car.

I guess I'll see if I'm right in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment