Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood

I got up this morning and went to get some things done. I got dressed (jeans, t-shirt, jacket) and went outside ... to discover that summer arrived overnight. It's sunny and humid today, so I was way overdressed.

(By the way, one of the errands I got done is renewing my car registration, so that is taken care of).

I had intended to update last night to tell you about my boxing class, but apparently I have the memory of ... something that doesn't have much memory, so I forgot.

Anyway, back to boxing.

I've talked about boxing many times before. As I've mentioned, usually a class consist of 12 stations and a couple of punch-outs. There are a few weeks that are different, usually towards the end of the session. Last night was week 8 of 8.

A punch-out consists of 2 or 3 people on a bag, taking turns punching and switching every 10-20 seconds. They are usually for speed (i.e. in & out 20 times in 20 seconds) or power (i.e. in & out 12 times in 20 seconds, but hitting harder).

During the last session, week 8 consisted of 8 punch-outs in a row, then 8 stations in a row. It was very challenging.

Yesterday was a split circuit. In a split circuit week, you usually do a punch-out, 6 stations, 2 punch-outs, the other 6 stations, and then a punch-out, It's a bit different, but not too hard.

Last night, we started with a punch-out. After that, we split into 2 groups. Each group did 6 stations. (One station was shadow boxing using 5 pound dumbells, which is crazy hard.) After 6 stations, we did a punch-out, then we traded sides to do the other 6 stations. At the end, there was another punch-out ... followed by "OK guys, switch sides again, time for another 6 stations".

One of my classmates is in the Monday class as well. Her comment was "I almost cried on Monday".

After our final 6 stations, we did one last punch-out, for a total of 1+6+1+6+1+6+1 = 22 2-minute stations.

We do 24 stations one class each session, but the difference with this one is that we didn't know we would be doing the extra station.

I was lucky, though, because I only had to do the shadow boxing station once. It was hard enough the first time, I don't know if I would have been able to do it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment