Monday, April 20, 2009

I did some new things on the weekend, but I don't remember what they are

A few years ago (OK, probably 10 years ago), Ontario passed a law requiring all cars more than a certain number of years old (3?) to have an emissions test before the province will renew their registration. They send you the reminder a couple of months in advance - I think I got mine in February - but I believe you have to pass the emissions test within 30 days of your renewal.

Today I took my car in to get the emissions test done (along with a few other things, like the fact that pressing the button for windshield washer fluid was ... pretty much futile).

Anyway, I got moving early this morning. I didn't get up any earlier, I just was more focused on getting out the door. I put my gym bag in the trunk, my laptop and purse on the front seat, and then went to drop off the car. When I got there, I grabbed my laptop and purse, gave them the keys, and got a ride in to work. I got there at 8:15, which meant I was the first one in. I had to unlock both sides of the building.

This afternoon, they called to tell me that they had figured out what needed fixing, but that they needed to get parts - did I need the car tonight?

I originally said that I did need the car, but then I started to think about it. I had nothing going on tonight that I specifically needed the car for (other than going to the gym, home, and then back to work tomorrow). I would need to get a ride to the garage to pick up my car ... and then go through the whole process again in a couple of days when they had the parts.

Instead, I could go to the gym, then take the bus home & back to work in the morning, leaving them the car until they got the parts tomorrow.

It took me a while to realize my gym bag (with my runners, gym clothes, and gym membership card) was still in the trunk of the car.

Oh well, that's a good excuse to skip going to the gym, right?

I called them back to say they could keep the car overnight, and they had managed to get the parts in. My car would be ready to pick up by 5.

Normally, my Monday gym class starts at 5 at the gym beside my office. I wasn't going to be able to make that class. (Plus, you may recall, I had already resigned myself to skipping the gym today anyway.) However, if I felt really, really motivated, the gym I go to on Wednesdays had a class starting at 5:30. Of course, that depended on picking up the car promptly at 5.

One of my co-workers gave me a ride to the garage, and I was out of there by 5:05. I couldn't justify skipping the class, so I headed towards the gym.

When I was halfway there, I remembered that this is new release week. Four times a year my gym releases new music & choreography for their exercise classes. During release week, selected classes preview the new routines (usually with multiple instructors taking turns). You have to sign up for the release classes. The next week, all classes do the new routines. The four release weeks are the only times you have to sign up for classes in advance. They aren't usually too picky about it, but it could depend on how many people show up.

I got to the gym and, yes, the class I was planning to attend was a new release class. However, luckily only 2 people had signed up (because last Monday was a holiday, and thus the class was cancelled).

The point of this story? I went to the gym today.

(Also, if someone could remind me to renew my car registration before the end of next week, I would appreciate it.)

2 comments:

  1. You're a better person than I am. I would have decided to skip the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably would have if I hadn't missed so many classes in the last couple of months.

    ReplyDelete