Wednesday, August 1, 2012

In which I take ages to get to the point

Back in June, my right knee started to hurt.

I had injured it years ago (back when I still was working at the big telecom company and doing Irish dance once a week), had physio, and, although it has never fully recovered, it pretty much didn't hurt unless I tried to keep it bent. (I am fun to sit beside on airplanes and at movies.)

But in June, it started to hurt again - mostly manifesting itself as stiffness after I'd been sitting for a while - and I thought "oh well, haven't been to physio in months", ... and then did nothing about it.

In July, my Monday class at the gym started doing a really painful workout. Six rounds, with one round being:
  • 30 seconds shoulder presses
  • 30 seconds front squats
  • 30 seconds dead lifts
  • 30 seconds bent over rows
  • 30 seconds split squats (leg #1)
  • 30 seconds split squats (leg #2)
  • 30 seconds push up/mountain climbers (so as you lower yourself into the push up, you also bring one leg up towards your elbow.)
Everybody (including me) was sore the day after we did this the first time. And the day after that. And a little the day after that.

The thing is, while I was doing the dead lifts, I noticed that my right hamstring hurt, but the left one didn't. My whole  knee issue wasn't my knee at all - it was actually the hamstring.

And after I started doing this workout (3 times in July so far), my knee stopped hurting.

So, after the longest intro ever, I'll get to the point.

In order to hopefully fix this more permanently, I'm going to do hamstring exercises every day in August.

I'm also going to do some shoulder/flexibility exercises, because ... well, it just seems like a good idea.  I have no natural flexibility.

Day 1 is done. 30 days to go.

3 comments:

  1. Since you self-diagnosed your problem, you should to pay yourself the money you would have spent at the doctor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent suggestion, Kathy, but I don't think my insurance company would fall for that. :)

    ReplyDelete