Sunday, August 19, 2012

More about vegetables

Well, it's been quite a few weeks and I'm still getting my CSA box.

I have to say I love it. I've even found a way to cook swiss chard that I don't hate (fry onions, garlic and mushrooms; add cut-up swiss chard when the other vegetables are mostly cooked). I've tried several vegetables I've never tried before, and I'm eating a lot more vegetables overall.

The only downside? The lettuce. I simply can't eat that much lettuce (nor do I want to, because I'm not a huge fan of lettuce). I've taken to pawning lettuce off on people - if you invite me to your house, I will show up with a bag of lettuce. If you don't invite me, I might show up with a bag of lettuce anyway. Soon I'll be putting a bag of lettuce on a stranger's front step, ringing the doorbell, and running away.

This week's box included:
  • mushrooms
  • potatoes
  • tomatoes
  • lettuce
  • more lettuce
  • an onion
  • beans
  • patty pan squash
  • beets
  • corn on the cob 
  • cucumbers
  • zucchini
  • swiss chard
  • carrots
Some of the lettuce and the swiss chard immediately went to a neighbour, who thought I was being nice. Some of the tomatoes got cooked with some onion, garlic, zucchini, and beet tops and frozen as spaghetti sauce. We've eaten more of the tomatoes, the carrots, one of the cucumbers, and the the corn on the cob.
I guess that means that for supper, we'll have squash, beets,beans, mushrooms, potatoes, and a salad with the remaining cucumber and lettuce.

Well, maybe that should be more than one meal.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you get quite the assortment in your box. We pretty much get what our farm grows, and it too has a lot of lettuces. Corn season has passed here as has beans. Oh, but we got lots of beans this year. I tried many new ways with beans. I love our CSA box and cannot imagine my week without it.

    ReplyDelete