Sunday, May 13, 2012

Good fences

Last year, one of my neighbours started playing a radio - loudly.

Now, I don't mind occasional noise - you're having a party, for example - but this was every nice day.  I'd go outside and be forced to listen to their music. I'd come inside and, if there was a window open in the house, I'd be forced to listen to their music.

I like quiet, especially when I'm reading outside.

(It wasn't a teenager - I'm pretty sure the culprit was a man in his sixties.)

If it was the people on my left or my right, I would have walked over and said, "Hey, can you keep it down?" However, it was the people whose backyard meets mine - which means they live on a totally different street.  I never got to the point of walking over (but I did daydream about "accidentally" using the hose to water their entire yard until the radio shorted out).

Fall came, and I forgot about it, until last weekend.

That's right, it started again.

I decided to take the direct - albeit lazy - approach and yelled "Please turn the radio down" every time I was outside.

The next step in my plan was to walk over, follow the loud music to find the right house, then ask them to keep it down. (I also mused on twitter about blasting Barney's "I love you, you love me" back at them for a while, but sadly that would probably just escalate things.)

Yesterday and today? It was quiet.  I got to sit outside and read a book for the first time in 2 years.

Man, I hope this lasts.

2 comments:

  1. OOh, I'm so proud of you! Our neighbours have a drummer in the family and the daily practice drives me BONKERS. Yet I find I am unable to say anything about it for fear of seeming anything less than nice. I am such a weenie! You're an inspiration :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I stewed all last summer but now I've had enough.

    ReplyDelete