Monday, March 11, 2013

New Directions

I've mentioned before that I used to work for a large high tech company - one that went through years of layoffs and doesn't so much exist anymore.

That means that I know a lot of people who  have been laid off.

Some people found new jobs that were similar to their previous jobs. Others went in a different direction - starting businesses, going back to school, changing careers.

A few weeks ago, I met with one of my former colleagues who made a change.  He had been a director of support and now has moved into financial planning - investments, mortgages, budgeting, etc.

It sounds like it has been challenging but intentional, and I hope it works out well for him.

When I was laid off the first time, I considered different career options. I ended up deciding to stick with what I knew. I never would have suspected I'd end up doing what I do now - I didn't even know jobs like this existed.


I wonder what I'd do if I got laid off again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment