Thursday, January 3, 2013

Going in circles

Today at work, one of my coworkers was talking about some problems she was having with her TV, and her dilemma about whether to buy a new one - new TVs have more features, but she doesn't want to spend the money.

And I said, "I know what you mean, I have no intentions of buying a new TV anytime soon."

So tonight, I thought to myself, "Hey, I can put off going through the mail by watching the Big Bang Theory", and I tried to turn on the TV.

Nothing happened.

I pressed the "TV" button on the remote and tried again.

Still nothing.

I walked over to the TV, noticed that nothing had any lights on (TV, Wii, DVR, stereo), and pressed the on/off switch on the power bar on the theory that taking down the Christmas lights had resulted in me turning it off by accident.

Still nothing.

I thought "Hmm, the power bar is dead."

A little later, I remembered that there was a light plugged in to that outlet, so I walked over to turn it on - but it wasn't there, because it's only there when the Christmas decorations are up, and I took them down last night.

I went back to planning to replace the power bar.

A little later, I thought, "Hey, I thought something was plugged directly into the wall, but there's no lights on anything. It's like the outlet itself is dead. That'll be a pain if that's the problem."

It took me a little while to remember that the outlet is on a light switch - and that I had a house sitter for the past two weeks who might have disregarded the massive quantity of tape on the switch. I walked across the room and turned the switch back no.

Still nothing.

And then I remembered that I'd "turned on" the power bar. I flipped the switch again and lights came on.

But I'm still scared to try the TV.

1 comment: