Thursday, February 3, 2011

Things I've Learned From Boxing

1. Showing up is half the battle

No matter how tired I am, no matter how much I don't want to go, I always feel better by the time class is over.

2. Practice make perfect

I'm not good at skipping. I have hit myself with the rope hard enough to cause bruises. I have untied my shoe laces with the rope. I have gotten the rope tangled around the railing.

Skipping will never come easily for me.

But I'm a lot better than I was four years ago.

3. Learn the technique

Lately, my coach has been on my case, trying to get me to pay attention to how my legs are moving. You know what? It all becomes a lot easier when I listen.

4. Sometimes, you need another perspective

It amazes me how I can be hitting as fast as I can, as hard as I can, yet if the coach says something like "hit harder", I just ... do.

5. Make sure the lid is on your water bottle

There's nothing fun about dumping half a bottle of water down your shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment