Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hockey Day in Canada

Before Thursday night, I'd never heard of Hockey Day in Canada.

That's before my neighbour sent me an e-mail asking if I could help out.

You see, my local community centre was the rink for our ward, and a few volunteers had canceled on them. I agreed to help out.

As usual, I was helping out in the kitchen. The menu was simple - hamburgers, chili, hot dogs, and cold drinks. Rogers was there as well with hot chocolate, coffee, and TimBits.

Instead of serving food out of the kitchen, we had an area setup outside. Both rinks (one with boards, one without) were full of kids playing hockey.

The mayor was there for a while, as was our city councilor. Rogers filmed some of it, and CBC was scheduled to show up later.

It was a nice day, but as time went on it got colder. I was only there a couple of hours, but by the time I left I was pretty cold. Still, it looked like everyone was having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment