Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well, it's been a complete year of doing a new thing every day. Expect a wrap up in the next couple of days.

Today I followed different New Year's traditions. (I believe I stole this idea from Sydney originally).

I ate cabbage, which are meant to resemble money and bring fortune in Denmark and the southern U.S.

I ate pork, which is another symbol of prosperity (in Austria, Germany, Portugal & Spain).

(The pork & cabbage were combined in cabbage rolls.)

I also ate 12 grapes, which again is to ensure future prosperity.

It's interesting that most of the traditions involve prosperity. I would think there would be more things that might be important in the new year.

Now I'm off to do something that's not really a tradition - I'm going to bed long before midnight. (I have to leave for the airport at 4:30 a.m. & I'm really tired.)

Happy New Year, all!

3 comments:

  1. Colette going to bed well before midnight on New Year's...that's totally a tradition!!

    You made it through the whole year! Good job...it's been interesting to follow your blog. You gonna keep any kind of blog going still?

    Happy New Year's!!
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always eat cabbage (for prosperity) & black eyed peas (for good luck). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Years Colette! Congrats on doing this for a whole year, I never would have been able to do it!

    ReplyDelete