Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Spice racks

My spice cabinet has been bugging me for a while. Back in November, I started trying different solutions.

I started with dollar store baskets and command hooks. They didn't really work, because the baskets were wider at the top than at the bottom, so they tipped. In a workaround, I added rolled up shelf cover, but it was hardly a success.

I built some shelves out of scrap wood and downing. They were a little better, but I had issues attaching them to the cupboard. I tried cup hooks, which resulted in a bunch of half cup hooks in the cupboard.

I bought permanent sticking tape and attached the shelves.

That's when I discovered they were half an inch too long.

I took them apart and made them narrower, then attached them with the tape.

It got more humid, and one of them expanded just enough that the cupboard didn't close. And then the permanent sticking tape failed to live up to its name, so the top ones started sagging.

Today I screwed eye hooks into the shelves, reapplied the tape, and then screwed them into the door.

It's finally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment