Saturday, January 2, 2016

All About Me quilt #3



After I finished quilt #2 for Sky, I had to hurry, since her sister Star needed one, too. However, Star was much less clear about what she wanted.

It was a puzzle.

Eventually, I asked her family (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins) to tell me stories about her, and I alternated story squares (which are striped) with regular squares. Each story square contains a word, and part of her gift was a paper explaining what story went with each word.

Here's a close-up of one of the words:
I tried using iron-on transfers, but they were less than successful. Only a couple of them survived.

It always amazes me how much the sashing helps make a bunch of discordant, unconnected squares seem like they belong together.  Compare the three columns on the left with the two on the right - the ones of the left looked just as jumbled before I added the sashing.


Here's the end result (upside down, just because):

1 comment: