About a year and a half ago, my Pathfinders made pajamas. There were some leftover flannel scraps, and I also made pajamas for a bunch of people that Christmas, so I had enough flannel that I needed to do something with it - but nothing big, because the pieces I had weren't big enough to do much with.
I decided to make a rag quilt.
First, I cut squares of flannel. I also cut squares of polar fleece, because I had lots of scraps of that left from various projects. I put one piece of fleece between two pieces of flannel and sewed intersecting diagonal lines across the square. I kept the flannel the same on both sides for ease of assembly later.
I then assembled the squares into blocks of 4 squares.
|Squares and blocks|
I then cut the seams down, and assembled the blocks into rows. I had 6 rows of 5 blocks each.
I sewed the 6 rows together. Cue more seam trimming.
|Quilt before binding|
I couldn't leave the edge like that, but there was no way on earth I was going to trim it. My hand is bruised enough as it is. I decided to bind the edges.
A YouTube tutorial later, the binding was done. Here's the finished product from both sides.
|Seam side up|
Not bad for a bunch of fabric scraps.