Saturday, April 2, 2022

I'm too lazy to go buy a purse

 Today I decided to make a purse. 

I cut 4 sets of 2 pieces of fabric. The outer one pieces were 13"x19"; the inner ones were 13"x20", since there was a direction to that fabric. I then cut the inner ones in half, switched one half upside down, and sewed them back together. 

A piece of fabric that has been cut in half and then sewed back together

Next I cut batting to match the size of the outer fabric and pinned the inner fabric (good side down), the batting, and the outer fabric (good side up). 

A sandwich - inside fabric, batting, outside fabric

I then quilted the three pieces together with diagonal lines and repeated for the next 3 sets. 

The fabric, post-quilting.
Because I like pockets, I added a small pocket to the inside of one of the 4 sections.
The quilted fabric, with a small pocket added on the inside.

I sewed binding to the top and bottom of each section, then folded each section in half and pinned a zipper near the top. The zipper pull was down, and I sewed the side away from the binding.
A section, with the zipper in place to be sewn.

I then turned each section inside out and pinned the other side of the zipper to the other half of the section, being careful to keep it the same distance from the binding. I unzipped the zipper and sewed that side down. 
The second side of the zipper, pinned to sew.

When all 4 sections were done, I turned them right side out. Next, I cut a flap out of both the inside material and the outside material and sewed them together on 3 sides, then sewed it onto the section with the inside pocket. 

The flap to cover the purse, sewn to one of the 4 sections

I took a piece of cardboard and sewed a piece of the outside fabric to cover it. 


The cardboard, enclosed in fabric on 3 sides, before I sewed up the 4th side.

When it was fully covered, I  attached it to the bottom of the section with the flap. I then attached it to the bottom of another section (making sure that the zippers were going the same way). 


The cardboard section connecting 2 sections

Next, I used bias tape to cover the ends of each section so that they were  closed.
Bias tape pinned on the edge of one section.
x



I used a piece of cardboard to measure the same distance from each side. I then added the two sections that weren't connected to anything in between the other sections, and sewed each one to the next between the markings.
A piece of cardboard marking the distance to sew
I added a closure on the flap and attached the strap, and it's done!



No comments:

Post a Comment